Thursday, May 16, 2013

Tailoring -- complete!

I also finished my vest and trousers for Tailoring class. Again, I'm very happy with how everything turned out -- I think Matt looks quite dashing! I'm very pleased with the trousers -- everything went very smoothly. I had to try putting in the fly a couple of times, but I think I understand how it all works now. The vest, in general, went smoothly. I hit a snag with the collar. I think that in the chaos of the term, when I was doing my pattern corrections, I never ended up truing the collar to the body of the vest. Can't believe I forgot to do that somehow! At any rate, the collar just wasn't quite long enough to get where it had to, so I ended up adjusting the pattern and just re-making it. Once the collar was fitting and on I hit another snag. I had clipped the facing a bit too far at the notch. Again, so frustrated about this! So, as I did and do not have time to go back and re-cut and hand stitch the facing in again, I had to settle for a lapel that just doesn't quite sit right...again, I've learned my lesson.

On the whole though, I'm feeling like I understand collars, notches, and lapels a whole lot better having struggled through this. So, next time collar, I'm going to show you who's boss!