Wednesday, May 16, 2012

"Billy The Kid" Red Dress




This is a production project that I made for the play "Billy the Kid." It is based on the rendering to the upper right, designed by Sylvianne Sherman (and used with her permission here -- thank you Sylvianne!). This was the first garment I made for a play at school. I have to admit that I was incredibly nervous. I started with draping a 1/2 muslin mock-up. I then took a pattern off of it and created a full muslin mock-up to be fitted on the actress. After the fitting I went right into the actual fabric and made the dress. Everything went pretty smoothly, thank goodness! I was really pleased with the final product -- the dress looked great on stage and the skirt moved great with the actresses movements! For the final look Sylvianne distressed the dress adding mud spatters and torn edges to complete the wild west look. I thought the distressing looked excellent.

Construction-wise, the bodice is lined with generic red lining. There is an invisible zipper at center back. The hem was left as is because it was later distressed to have a jagged, worn and ripped effect.