Thursday, May 17, 2012

"Bus Stop" Waitress Uniform

 This is my second production piece for the play "Bus Stop."  The play was placed in the 1950's and kept pretty strictly to period. This was a very challenging assignment for me. I learned how to do a lot of things I hadn't done before -- built in pockets in the skirt, a patch pocket on the bodice, shirt collar with lapels, cuffs, an apron...phew! A lot to be nervous about, but once again, I am happy with how it turned out.

I started with a 1/2 muslin mock up and through a series of conversations with the designer and a few more mock ups we finally arrived at the right silhouette, though it continued to go through many changes. The fittings were difficult but very informative. Every person has a very unique body shape and you have to take this into account. Everything you make, especially with custom costumes, is going to be unique and be very specific to the person. This particular dress has a shoulder pad built into one side and the collar is constructed unevenly so that is falls correctly. It was great to begin to learn how to tackle fitting challenges, though it was definitely daunting and a bit stressful...I'm glad I had to go through it!